Monday, January 11, 2016

PANTY BANDITS, TEN RULES FOR DRIVING IN PI, HIMAMAYLAN CITY PLAZA, BASKETBALL, & “DADDY”



THE  PANTY BANDITS EXPOSED

We all need to replace our undergarments every now and then. 
Panty Bandits - a.k.a. Clarisse & Santiago Baguio
Recently, we purchased new panties at Unitop in Kabankalan City.  Usually, they are worn below the belly button, but it seemed my oldest daughter and youngest son decided to also show their uses in other ways.  While most robbers would wear ski masks to perform their dastardly deeds, it appears my two children had another similar purpose for the new panties.  I can only be thankful they were new and clean when worn, not used and soiled. 


TOP TEN RULES WHEN DRIVING A MOTORBIKE IN THE PHILIPPINES

1.     Number one rule while driving a motorbike in the Philippines is: There are no rules.
2.     It's not the thrill that grabs you, but the fear which grips you.
3.     It is an unwritten regulation that if you are passed by another motorbike, you are required to pass them back.
4.     The maximum number of passeng,ers allowed on a motorbike is determined by how many you can pile onto it.
5.     Obeying traffic lights are optional when driving a motorbike in the Philippines.
6.     Might makes right when driving a motorbike in the Philippines. If it is bigger than you? You lose.
7.     Driving a motorbike in the Philippines after dark is akin to playing Russian Roulette.
8.     There are no minimum age requirements for driving a motorbike in the Philippines.
9.     Driver's Licenses are optional for driving a motorbike in the Philippines.
10.  Driving a motorbike in the Philippines - - - the ultimate adrenalin rush!!!

And the next question is, why do I ride a motorbike in the

Daryl Cleveland on his trusty 220 CC  Kawasaki

Philippines?  I guess because I like living on the edge.  You learn something new about other drivers and/or their vehicles with each trip.  Either through their ineptness or through the defective equipment they have risked putting on the highway.




HIMAMAYLAN  CITY  PLAZA  REMODELED

The city of Himamaylan has recently decided to redesign their
Drawings of changes to the plaza
community plaza.  With just manual labor, they tore up all the concrete walkways and short walls along with removing shrubs and cutting down trees.  They then poured new concrete bleachers, walkways, circles, and displays (for lack of a better term).  And after all the work was expended at constructing a nice set of concrete stands, I noticed today that graffiti has already been etched into the smooth concrete seating surface.
  

I am all for modernization of a community to advertise to the World that it is showing progress.  The only issue that I have here is there are several streets within this community which are rapidly deteriorating and need to be replaced.  I think by spending the money at replacing those roads and to delay the remodeling of the city plaza, it would have been more beneficial to the citizens. 

BASKETBALL  COURT  VS.  DRYING  RICE

There is a location at Batang Peninsula which I often take the family to watch the banca boats depart for the open waters of  the Sulu Sea as well as to gaze at the splendid sunsets, while the children frolic in
 Six Filipinos sweeping grain from the basketball court
the sand and shallow water of the inlet.  Closer to the road is a basketball court which also doubles for a place to dry freshly harvested rice before milling.   Although I had never seen rice drying there, on that particular day there was a fine layer of grain spread about the court.   As we watched seaward, Santiago directed my attention back toward the basketball court where six Filipinos were sweeping the scattered rice from the playing surface.  Another smattering of Filipinos watched as they quickly swished the grain onto the neighboring road and began their late afternoon game.  As long as I can remember, wherever I have lived in the Philippines, basketball has been the number one sport in the many towns and barangays.

“DADDY”

I really do not enjoy going to the local high school as I feel a bit intimidated by all of the high school girls, staring, or giggling...or worse yet, calling me “Daddy” from the classrooms (when no teacher is present) or in the schoolyard.  So, one day I asked the kid’s mother, Diana, what could be done to resolve the situation and she suggested that I needed to embarrass them in return and then gave me some examples.  The one method that ultimately worked quite well was when a student called “Daddy” to me, I would summon them to the doorway of the classroom or if on the school grounds to come over.  At which point I would tell the offending student, “Anak (son or daughter), come here as I forgot to give you your allowance.”  Of course the student would quickly approach and put out their hand while the rest of the classroom watched in expectation.  I would then pull a five or ten centavo piece (.002¢) out of my back pocket and place it in their hand.  The classroom or her friends, (if on the school grounds) would roar with laughter at the miniscule amount given him/her.  Yes, boys have called me “Daddy” too.  It doesn’t end the calling, but it does make it more entertaining…
 
1-8-2016 - sun settling over Cauayan & Basilik Mountains




 Daryl A. Cleveland
January 11, 2016









erer





5 comments:

  1. Do they have any rules for basketball or is a free for all? Do the girls play sports if not what do they do to pass the time? Last question are there any professional sports played? Thanks and have a great day, we have a high today of 6.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They play basketball here like in the states. As for rules, I would guess they follow the same rules as everywhere else in the World. Girls will play basketball, but not as much and they also play in soccer, volleyball, gymnastics, Tae Kwon Do, and badminton. The main official professional sports are basketball, boxing, football (soccer), billiards, and volleyball. Always happy to answer questions. It keeps me busy and keeps you interested in my blogs. Stay warm, while I attempt to stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this was very interesting and fun to read. Write more articles like these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Daryl! First off Happy New Year!
    BTW are there any Hi-Tech industries in the PI? I know American companies have a presence there but is there a "Silicon Valley"?
    Thanks
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe in Manila or in Cebu, but not where I live. There are also call centers in Bacolod and Dumaguete, but not sure if they hire foreigners.

    ReplyDelete