Thursday, January 14, 2016

A SHORT WALK FROM MABINAY TO KABANKALAN CITY – PRELUDE




The possibility of a potential walk between Mabinay and Kabankalan City came up about a year or so ago.  I had hinted to the family at the dinner table one evening of taking a stroll from Kabankalan City southeast along the National Highway to Mabinay, which is nestled in the mountains forty kilometers (twenty-five miles) away.  Of course the kids automatically cringed when bringing the proposal up while their mother Diana said (without hesitation) that it was too dangerous.  Her main argument being there was NPA (New Peoples Army) in those mountains and we could be robbed, or killed, or even worse which brought the topic to an abrupt end (to everyone’s relief).

However, since that brief discussion there had been this faint desire in the back of my mind, a silent urging, if you will, to take that journey through those tropical foothills. As with all previous adventures, it had become an unquenchable desire to explore this land I had come to love.  Then again, I had previously been told that those in the early stages of Alzheimer’s also wandered a lot.  Uh, maybe that was not the reason this time… So, in March of this past year, I broached the topic again.   Diana once more stated I should not do this as it was too dangerous.  Normally, I would have let it ride or, shall we say, allow it to simmer on the back burner for a few more months, but on this occasion, I provided her an alternative option and that was to walk from Kabankalan to Sipalay (a resort community in the southwest corner of the island).  I was coming of the realization that it wasn’t as much the challenge of walking between those two destinations that called to me as it was the yearning to just be hiking somewhere on foot.   As expected, the children were expectedly mute on the topic, while Diana admitted the new route would be safer, but the logistics of getting to the exact drop off points by bus were too difficult.  I had not asked anyone to accompany me, but that was how they were perceiving the proposals.   As before, I just let it fade into the background of my thoughts and moved on with life.

When subtly bringing up the topic every so often, there were other considerations, one being my capability of walking that distance.  There was also this one kilometer hill which was a heart stopper and I knew that I would not be able to easily survive a sudden climb like that in my present physical condition.  Still, I was determined to walk it no matter what.  I had traveled the route twice during the past few months and took Diana along the second time to get her opinion.  Diana’s only comment was that walking from Mabinay to Kabankalan City would be easier (I had considered that route, but she confirmed it).  Finally, after thoroughly looking the area over during that ride, she felt it was actually safe enough to walk. 

In late August I started walking four kilometers a day (2.5 miles) with an eight kilometer (5 mile) side route randomly mixed in to test my endurance.  I told Diana that the walk between Mabinay and Kabankalan would involve fourteen kilometers (8.75 miles) the first day with thirteen kilometers (8.1 miles) on each of the two consecutive days.  Two positive results occurred from my daily walking.  One was that Diana said that she would join in the walk and two, fourteen year old Toy who had been walking with me over 90% of the time wanted to come along.  Of which both requests were more than fine by me.  As we all know, misery does love company.

The final dilemma was the transportation.  In the beginning I proposed that both boys come with us and sit at the trike while Diana and I walked, then ride a jeepney or Ceres Liner back to the trike. However, I did not like that idea as it left the boys sitting alone in the open country for two of those days, that was until their Uncle James unexpectedly came to visit.  James had an uncanny tendency to randomly pop into our house for a few days…or weeks.  A very inconspicuous and overly quiet man, James was single and most of the time out of work.  Still, he performed little chores around our house, was an unassuming guest, the kids really liked him, and I determined he would become the support driver for this trek over hill and dale.  However, he had never driven my trike, nor any other trike for that fact.  No matter, I put him behind the handlebars and let him get the feel of the motorbike on quiet streets as well as the busy highway.  I was nervous at first, but his driving reflected his demeanor which was reserved as well as cautious. 

We then decided, as we never knew when James would suddenly leave, that the walk would occur on Saturday, December 12.  With the support driver situation resolved, I had stored two one liter bottles of frozen water in the freezer and Diana purchased some snacks to keep us sated and nourished during upcoming walk.  Now it was just a matter of awaiting the appointed hour.  I told everyone that we were leaving at 3:30 a.m. on Saturday and they needed to all be up by 3:00 a.m.  They all agreed to the wakeup along with scheduled departure time and were excited about the adventure ahead, but then again, we were dealing with Filipino time and ingrained attitudes of which during the next three days would prove themselves out time and again. 

I had the support driver, I had the rehydrating fluids, I had the all-important snacks, and also had the enthusiasm from a couple of fellow trekkers who were decades younger than I.  What could go wrong, right?  Perhaps the next chapter will reveal it all…

Daryl Cleveland… a.k.a. Bounder
January 13, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment