Sunday, January 17, 2016

KANLAON VOLCANO UPDATE, FILL FOR THE LOT, MEASUREMENTS & TIME, IDIOMS, SLIVER OF A MOON




KANLAON VOLCANO -  SILENT  ONCE  MORE?

It appears that the latest news from the Philippines Volcano Center (PHIVOLCS) has announced that Kanlaon Volcano has returned to a deep sleep.  There is no more steam
Kanlaon Volcano - March 2014
escaping as well as no more rumbling is being recorded by ground sensors.  I was only able to see the steam escape once during its short activity as the rest of the time, the peak was usually encased in clouds.  In a way, it was sad to see that magnificent mountain return to its inactive state.  Yet, one never knows when it will re-awaken or even blow its top as Mt. Pinatubo did over twenty years ago now.  When I was stationed on the island of Adak, located in the Aleutians Islands, 1,200 miles SW of Anchorage, Great Mt. Sitkin Volcano was constantly emitting large plumes of steam during my twelve month tour.  Actually, Great Mt. Sitkin had an explosive eruption in 1974 (while I was stationed in the Philippines) complete with ash ejection, lava flows, and resulting dome.  However since that time, it has been restlessly napping.  Both volcanoes continue to emit steam every few years to let us know that they exist.  Yet, it is Kanlaon, with its populated area which reminds us that we can never rest easily as long as she infrequently snorts out smoke while rumbling in her troubling slumber.




FILL  FOR  THE  BACK  YARD

Earlier this week, we received a dump truck loaded with fifteen cubic meters (19.6
Toy Toy & Santiago with two workers unloading truck
cubic yards) of fill for our lot.  Now fill in the states is usually clean of stones, but not in the Philippines.  A few of the accompanying stones were so heavy that Toy and I had to use a makeshift wood constructed stretcher to move those to a depressed part of the yard.  However, the point of the topic is, I thought the ground was solid enough to handle the loaded transport, unfortunately that was not the case.  I had laid out large rocks to handle the weight, but then one set of wheels veered off those stone supports and at that very point, one side of the truck sank up to its axle, leaving it in a very precarious angle.  Thus, it was the driver, his helper, and I (along with the two boys when home for lunch) who had the unsavory
Daryl Cleveland at the top of the pile scooping
task of unloading that load by shovel.  Did I ever tell you that a tropical sun can be merciless, especially when you are rotund and getting older?  I kept up with them for some time, but started to slow as that fiery orb started to get the better of me.  As we reached the halfway point of unloading the truck, sunburned as well as sufficiently exhausted, I finally relegated myself to a chair in the shade.  Besides, foreigners weren’t supposed to be doing manual labor such as that, right?  Shortly after that, with the help of a large tractor, they got the dump truck back onto the rocks and was able to lift the back end and unload the remaining sand and rocks.  I was pretty embarrassed over the whole episode, but we got it out of the quagmire and on its way.  As for me, it will involve a lot of shoveling and moving of dirt over the next few days.  The large rocks which came with the load will be spread around the yard in an effort to support the subsequent deposits of fill.  




MEASUREMENTS AND TIME

Charissa Mae always has something to say which will, more times than not, cause me to
Mae Mae's Drink Bottle
turn or even tilt my head in either confusion or amazement.  Yesterday, she had put water in her plastic drink container and said that she had filled it to the 724 line.   I was a bit perplexed as to what amount would total 724, so I asked her again and received the same reply.  Now, I had to know where she was getting this cryptic number and requested the bottle.  On the side of the container it said on the left side of a line - 700 (ml) and on the right side of the line it said - 24 oz.  I asked what the letters were on the side of the bottle (pointing to the ml) and she said “meal”.  I sat back and asked Mae Mae to spell the letters on the side of the bottle and of course, she spelled “m-e-a-l” and looked at me like I was a blithering idiot.  What can you say with logic like that?   Yes, I explained what ml (milliliters) and oz. (ounces) meant.   Yet, it was no worse than when asking Santiago to tell me the time, he came up with 564.  With the boy being twelve years old, and upon realizing his error, he was wise enough not to rationalize his reply and I guess it is something I will never know, much less figure out.




IDIOMS  AND  HOW  THEY  CONFUSE

Which brings us to idioms.  I was asked this in an email the other day and after giving it some thought, I have actually confused my children with some of our common idioms.  Once in a blue moon caught their attention one day.  Not the statement, but they wanted to know what a blue moon was and if it really existed, which led to a long discussion about how a blue moon occurs and “no” it was not blue.  Hit the hay was something that they questioned as there was no hay in the house, or It Takes Two to Tango of which they wondered what a dance had to do with the topic at hand.  I guess the one that also got attention was the term, “Let Sleeping Dogs Lie.”  At first, they knew you left sleeping dogs alone and when we would walk I would also make that comment, especially considering the consequences if you disturbed them.  Interestingly, during the daylight hours, you are invisible to dogs, but during the hours of darkness you become public enemy number one to them.  There are other idioms I have used at the dinner table (where many of our educational discussions occur) and it is rather interesting to see how they interpret what I say at times.




SLIVER OF A MOON

The other evening, as the three oldest children were shoveling sand or moving stone just after sunset. A slender moon was brightly prominent in the western sky when I commented that we had a “Sliver of a Moon” tonight.  The statement puzzled them as they looked up at the slim white line of a new moon, but couldn’t quite connect what a sliver had to do with the moon.   I want to stress, that my four adopted children are far smarter now than when we first met five years ago, but they, as well as me, still have a lot to learn and understand about the World around us. 



Daryl Cleveland a.k.a. Bounder
January 17, 2016


1 comment: