Wednesday, February 15, 2012

OWAK, THE KIDS, AND THE HOUSE



I have returned from my adventure across the Visayan Sea to visit my adopted kids in Cebu.  It was a great weekend.  My intentions were to swim each day in the aqua blue waters of Owak, but it rained from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon.  Now, when I said rain, I didn’t mean those pesky showers that irritate like a dripping faucet; but a continual Noah’s Ark downpour!  After the
Canla-on Volcano
earthquake the other day, we had some rainy periods and someone commented the rains were caused by the earthquake.  I smiled with that claim.  If Canla-on volcano was erupting I could see ash filled rain clouds, but earthquakes and rain are like nuts and fruit.   They may be round by nature, but never work hand in hand



On my way to San Carlos (where the ferry was located), I looked for damage from the earthquake, but from what I could see, there was none.  In the several towns I passed through, life continued on as usual. The streets of the communities were full of shoppers, as the women were at the wells or alongside the rivers washing
Ferry at pier in San Carlos, Negros Occidental
laundry.  The highways were basically untouched.  The bad spots continued to be a headache and even a few more holes had developed since my last passing in December.  Most of the potholes were nuisances which required a sharp eye to avoid the jaw rattling impacts, but there were several where you were forced to decelerate to a crawl and wend your way through the maze of car sized drop-offs. It had to be almost impossible for cars and trucks to avoid all of them and when I did come upon a four or more wheeled vehicle on that road, they were going even slower than me. 

The drive to San Carlos was exactly 109 km, or essentially 67 miles. In the states, that distance would take approximately one hour and fifteen minutes to complete, however in the Philippines, the same distance took two or more hours.  You always had to negotiate around twenty-five plus kilometers (15 miles) of mountainous terrain with many of the curves limited to 15 mph.  Another thing I noticed; on my way into San Carlos, it would always be sprinkling droplets. Sometimes it turned into rain, while other times, it was a brief shower.  

Clarisse & Charissa Mae Baguio - pic won't straighten up

The kids were excited to see me when I arrived at the nipa hut and spent each night at the hotel (they love veggie pizzas).  Toytoy (10 years old) had no problem telling the neighborhood kids he was going to Negros during school break, but Clarisse (12 years old) was hesitant.  She was always afraid that if it didn’t come true she would end up getting lots of ribbing from her classmates.  Santiago (8 years old) and Charissa Mae (4 years old) were excited, but I don’t think they comprehended the impact other than they were going to spend time with papa.  For all of them, it would be a temporary release from their overly crowded existence.  Even with four children in one bedroom (along with Stephen sleeping on the couch) in Negros, it was better than 16 people currently living in a two room bamboo house in Cebu. 


On another note, Wilcel (John’s wife) has been raising a two year old second cousin by the name of Brix.  His mother is married to an American, but he did not want the responsibility of her four children, so they were “farmed” out to relatives.  Brix is a very bright boy, who was also going through his terrible two’s.  I was
Wilcel Baguio, Brix, with James Baguio in background
introduced to him in November and he was highly suspicious of me.  By my return in December, he had become a little friendlier, but rather offish.  However, by February, he had somehow determined I was his papa.  Every time I showed up at the house, it was papa this and papa that.  On Sunday afternoon, I walked with Diana to discuss the family situation and arrangements for bringing the kids to Negros. As we passed the back side of the house upon that narrow path, there was Brix peaking through the bamboo fence and calling out, “Papa Daryl, Papa Daryl”.   Far too often I have heard of foreigners coming to marry a Filipina, but refusing to take the loose baggage (children) as part of the deal.  Sure, most sent money to the families each month for upkeep of the offspring, but the sons and daughters were always left behind with their grandparents, or other relatives.  It troubles me that Brix may never ever see his real mother again, or have a father to guide him, nor know his siblings who are now scattered among the many family members, but is just abandoned to an uncertain future with no solid connection to anyone. I know I cannot change nor save the World and its millions of abandoned children, but I am so proud to have been able to transform the lives of those four tiny souls who have entered into my life.  They are a quartet of innocence who have come to thrive upon my attention and kindness and who affectionately call me papa.

Yellow Blossom touched by nature's tears - Clarisse Baguio
The construction of the house is on hold. I have the blueprints and all the permits, but I am unable to go beyond that.  It is a hard pill to swallow and even harder when I had to tell the people who had prospects of four months of employment that nothing was going to happen.   The 300 foot well that is currently being sunk on the property should be finished within the week.  I will help Julius mix and pour a cement platform and then surround it with loose rock. There are many neighbors who have no clean water and if I can’t use the well for now, there is no reason for those in need, to not have a free and potable source.  Sometimes we forget that we need to share with the less fortunate, those resources in which God has blessed us.  In my case, that well is the answer. 

There have been no earth tremors now for over two days; Canla-on Volcano has not erupted, and I am almost over my latest head cold.  For all those things and many more I am very thankful. Yet, what I am most thankful about is the ability to write and share my experiences with you, my readers.   It is a rewarding and highly satisfying endeavor and would be impossible to achieve without your encouragement and support.  So, I want to say thanks to you, who matter the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment