Tuesday, February 7, 2012

EARTHQUAKES BY THE ISLAND OF NEGROS – DAY TWO


It has been a day since the earthquake struck my corner of the Philippines. Although there was damage to the hospital and gymnasium, no buildings collapsed or people injured. They did have to move the patients from the hospital into tents for the time being.  I discovered this morning that the epicenter of the quake was just a little over twenty miles away.  There is a line of mountains to the east of our community and the earthquake was basically on the other side, along the coastline. 

I went to Kabankalan this afternoon to transact business and found that the second floor of Gaisano’s (Dept. Store) was closed and all the lights were extinguished on that level.  The building housed various other shops in a miniature mall type complex.  I did see some damage to the outside of the structure, but it was mostly open for business.  However, the crowds that normally filled the hallways and surrounding businesses were noticeably absent.  Even the lines at Jollibee’s (a Philippines sort of McDonalds) were conspicuously absent.   The lack of people within the mall was evidence that the populace was scared.
 
Last evening after a 6.2 magnitude aftershock, I was walking to Julius’ house and as a trike passed me on the road, I caught a few words of their conversation.  They commented that the earthquakes didn’t seem to bother the foreigner.  Also, in my compound, the residents couldn’t quite comprehend my lack of anxiety to the death and destruction which was standing at our very doorstep.  As I walked down the street, I saw that people had moved out of their homes and were sitting on the sides of the roadway in plastic chairs with loaded backpacks.  We exchanged pleasantries, but I could sense their curiosity as to my calm behavior. 

When I went to Red Cross disasters in the states, there were always rumors of terrible disasters in the next town, or county, or that were coming our way.  Hearsay was always rampant during those events, and in the Philippines it was no different.  Such things as Canlaon Volcano erupting; or that ten bodies were found atop that volcano and who had died mysteriously.  That the coastline had emptied of water and a giant tsunami was imminent.  Those tsunami fears took our city by storm.  The tsunami alert was for the east coast of the island of Negros with a potential of three foot waves, but everyone had become convinced this gigantic wave was coming that very evening to wipe out the city and all its occupants.  Julius’ family didn’t talk about the tsunami concerns with me, but I could sense that they were very uncomfortable with the situation.  

On my way home, I noticed that people were hastily loading their basic belongings into trikes and leaving for higher ground to the east of Himamaylan.  As I entered my compound I found that, except for one other family, the rest had either left or were in the process of leaving their homes for unknown destinations.  As I sat in my living room looking at the news on the internet and monitoring the aftershocks, the sounds of departing vehicle passed my lighted bungalow.  During that time period I received a text from Julius which said that the Batang Peninsula (shoreline west of town) was empty of water and there was to be a major earthquake at 10:00 pm.  They added they were staying the night atop the hill where my house was to be built. Many others followed them to the shelter of that elevated mound.  I knew that since the tsunami watch had been canceled over seven hours ago, it was unlikely a tidal wave would miraculously appear now and as to the major earthquake appearing at 10:00 pm.  The time arrived and passed without a shiver to the ground. 

Now, I could have told all those people that there was no tsunami and that it was unlikely there would be a major earthquake at 10:00 pm.  But, I also knew I was a foreigner and thus an outsider and no matter what technology I had available to provide me the hard facts enabling me to discount those rumors, they still would not have believed me.  I knew as each one exited the compound gate, they were certain I was crazy for staying behind. That I was signing my own death warrant; and when they returned in the dawn to inspect the carnage from the overnight waves, they would have accepted the fact I had been washed away like so many cement blocks, palm trees, and discarded rubbish. 

It is amazing at how easily a civilization can be overwhelmed by fear. It doesn’t matter whether they are educated or not, it is that sense of survival which drives them to extremes. Yet, it is not just the unsubstantiated rumors which drive a society, but even the media has its contribution to it. The radio yesterday received reports from officials that rivers had emptied and the water had disappeared from the shoreline.  Thus the media also spread the fear and panic.  As soon as it got dark, the rumors seemed to grow exponentially in all their darkest details.  What may have started out as a simple thought by one individual soon became fact, and like an uncontrolled virus it soon infected the minds of the town’s inhabitants. And here I was, the only person who laughed at the initial quake and then ignored the rumors which surrounded me. 

All today and into this late hour the aftershocks continue to linger, blessing us at least once or more each hour with subtle reminders that the earth does move. 

I learned something very valuable from this near disaster.  An informed population is less likely to panic in deference to an uninformed population.  It’s hard to control paranoia once it had begun. Governments had been using that method of rumors and innuendoes for centuries to control and manipulate their masses, but it was a simple earthquake which gave me the front seat opportunity to see the rumor mill at work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment