Saturday, February 4, 2012

AN ADDITION TO MY FAMILY





I finally have a female in my life.  OK, now that I have caught your attention, it is a little puppy I got from one of the neighbors in the compound.  I figured if I was going to have a house, then I was going to have a
Yen Yen
pack of guard dogs to keep the intruders away.  Her name is Yen and although she does whine every once in awhile, she has been a good outdoor dog and does not whine at all after sunset.  She eats everything I (or the housekeeper) gives her and after the first day, we have had a good time together. I want to emphasize she is not a house dog, but will live entirely outside.  I will pick her up and hold her; and she loves nestle in my goatee. We also have a great time when I rough house with her on the ground.   

There is a story as to how I acquired her.  The dog at the house kitty corner from mine had a litter of six puppies. I asked for one, but they said it was too late as they had been promised to others.  A few days later, the lady came to my house and asked if I would still like a puppy.  She added, that particular puppy kept running away from the new owners and always returned home to her mama.  Of course I said I would be happy to take her in.  

Yen's Mama
The first thing that happened was she (with the help of mama) broke through my bamboo fence.  ‘So, there’s the problem’, I thought to myself.  I thus went out into the lane and separated babes from mom and then cut a stretch of cord from the back clothes line.  Clothes dryers in the Philippines?  NOT IN THE PROVINCES.  I tied one end of the cord around her neck and then with the other end, it was tied to the metal portion of the fence on the west side of the house.  As would be expected, the four legged addition was not too excited about the situation.  With mama at the outer fence barking encouragement, Yen would back up and then run as fast as her four little legs could move.  Every thing was fine until she reached “the end of her rope” and then TWANG. Her head and neck went up into the air as her torso, legs, and tail slid underneath due to the momentum.  It took less than a second, but there she was on her back wondering what happened.  Still, she was determined to be reunited with her parent and thus repeated her performance twice more before giving up in TEMPORARY defeat.  She then tried to chew through the cord, but the teeth weren’t developed enough.  Finally she backed up trying to pull the noose off her head, but that didn’t work either. I had to admit she was persistent, but Yen finally became pretty exhausted from all that puppy work; hence the poor canine finally curled up and took a nap. 


Are you here to play with me again?!?
I thought that things would settle down quickly after that, but I discovered this was not to be the case.  Within the hour, Yen was barking, whining, and whimpering.  It seemed that mama had squeezed under the metal gate at the back of my yard and was now chewing on the tether holding her baby.  I did not touch mama, but opened the gate and told her to GET!  She knew she was not welcome, but a little over an hour later, there she was in my enclosure again.  Once more, I opened the gate and ushered her out.  “Mama is just as bad as baby,” I grumbled to myself.


I would go out every so often to give Yen attention, but she was having nothing to do with her captor.  Then about 4:00 pm while writing, I looked up to see mama walking along the fenceline.  I got my sandals on, walked out into the kitchen and peered out that widow.  Sure enough, mama was squeezing under the metal gate.  Racing outside I yelled at her in English, some Illongo, and a few words that probably had no decipherable meaning and picked up some pebbles. Mama made a hasty retreat under the barred barrier as I tossed a stone at the gate, which bounced off it harmlessly.  I then tossed a rock at her as she trotted up the street toward the compound gate. That pebble bounced off the screen that was on that side of the house. By the time she reached the lane in front of my house, she was up to a pretty good run as I just yelled at her some more.  Yen?  She just stood there and watched as mama made a hasty passing.  Interesting thing was that mama never came back again.  Whatever bond they had was terminated by my tirade.  It seemed that puppy realized it and warmed up to me immediately after that. 

I am really trying to take a nap
You may think that this is a happy ending to a sad story, but it continues on.  I got Yen on Wednesday. On Thursday a six year old neighborhood boy was talking to Yen through the bamboo fence.  The housekeeper asked what he was doing and the youngster said it was “his dog”.  I guess the housekeeper said, “Not anymore.” Well the child said that he was going to take her back.  The housekeeper told me not to pay any attention to him as the youth was just upset over losing a dog he could not control. 

This morning, I was sitting at baby reading my morning emails when I spied this same kid using a stick to get the lock moved so he could open the gate.  I asked him what he was doing in VERY BASIC Illongo.  He looked up and saw me watching him through the open window. His eyes became huge as he stopped what he was doing.  For a moment he stared at me in total terror as the piece of wood slowly dropped from his (now open) hand and then he just vanished.  The only consolation is if that little boy doggynaps my Yen, I do know where to find them.


On the crowded streets of Cebu City, Cebu
As well as the quiet streets of Himamaylan City, Negros Occ.
 was in Bacolod yesterday and made an interesting observation.  I had seen this before, but somehow it was more prevalent yesterday.  Whenever I was with my children or when watching other parents walk with their little ones, they always held their hands.   What I found uniquely different in the Philippines, was the parents held firmly onto the youngster’s wrists.  It’s not that they were dragging them along, but still held tightly onto that lengthy appendage.  However, one time I saw a papa earnestly pulling his little daughter past me in the mall. The poor little thing walked as fast as she could, but sometimes would have to jog to keep up.  That did bother me greatly.  Another observation was, if a child had a tantrum, there was no physical correcting.  Most parents would ignore the demonstrations and continue walking with them (sometimes forcefully pulling protesting feet) through the mall.  Those who finally addressed the problem did so in a private corner or sat them down on a bench until “the moment” subsided.

No comments:

Post a Comment