Saturday, November 21, 2015

TYPHOON IN-FA, CHILDHOOD DISEASES, TUTORING, AND PSYCHOLOGICALLY CHALLENGED



Currently, several hundred miles east of this island is Typhoon In-Fa.  It is presently a Category 4 typhoon with sustained winds of 126.5 mph and gusts up to 155 mph with swells upwards of 38 feet.  Although it is headed toward the Philippines, forecasters are saying that it will be making a sharp right turn to the northeast within a couple of days.  This has been the track with most of the typhoons in the Western Pacific this year, but I am not complaining.   Besides, those weather systems draw in the moisture laden clouds from either the SW or NE monsoonal flows and they always seem to pass over this island and bless us with copious amounts of precipitation.   Rain without the destructive winds, I can live with that quite easily. 

Within the past year, our house has been blessed with two childhood diseases.  The first one was Chickenpox.  Interestingly, the boys were the ones to suffer that temporary malady, but neither of the girls were afflicted.  I recall when my children in the states were young, they all went through their rite of passage with that youthful ailment.  They were always itching and, as with every other small child, had to pick at the scabs leaving tiny blemishes which would last a lifetime.  No matter how hard we tried to keep them from scratching, it never always worked.  Of course, a couple of months ago, our house was stricken with a case of pink eye (it is called “sore eyes” here).  This time it was the girls and me who endured the inconvenience of teary as well as puss filled eyes while the boys were spared from the infection.  I found it interesting that the two boys would be the only ones to suffer chickenpox while the girls would be the only ones to contract pink eye.  Now, Dengue Fever was not so discriminating.  All of the children, including me, had to endure at one time or another this rampant and potentially fatal disease transmitted by mosquitoes.  One of the major problems with the virus was the victims would not drink enough liquid, become dehydrated, and thus ended up in the hospital with IV’s…..if they could afford it.  For the many poor, it could mean a bleak future if not treated in time especially for the very young as well as the very old.  I always made sure that everyone in this house drank plenty of fluids.   For my children, it was a case of high fever with resulting body rash afterward; whereas for me it also caused the knee joints to swell up, leaving me almost completely debilitated.  I could barely walk without assistance for over a month, and then the knees still pained me for months after that.  And yes, you can be re-infected over and over….fortunately, the subsequent infections are not as severe as the original. 

Carolyn Basoy (l) & Clarisse Baguio (r)
Clarisse has had a classmate stay at our house for the past couple of nights.  Carolyn is sixteen years old and has been tutoring Clarisse in math for the two weeks.  Clarisse gets good grades in all of her other subjects, but struggles with math.  The cost of having this classmate tutor her will be somewhere around ten dollars a month, plus a filling meal when she is here.  I am very proud of the grades my kids have been receiving this past school year. Thankfully they have come to realize the educational opportunities they are being given because of me.  Conversely, I do remember when my son Brad was in eighth grade and getting a D- in Social Studies.  When I informed him that he would not be able to succeed in life or even get into a decent college with those grades….his only retort to that was, “Why are you so upset, I’m not flunking!”  I am just thankful his demeanor changed by the time he began college. 

We have several people who aimlessly wander the streets in our town.  They are not necessarily mentally retarded, but are afflicted with whatever mental illness which causes such conditions.  One, we call (within our house) the plaza lady, is always singing quite loudly when walking and if there is music playing, she will wildly dance to the beat of whatever is coming out of the speakers.   One day, she had a toy gun as she was walking down the street.  I was playing Frisbee at the time when I suddenly heard her yell “Bang! You’re dead!”……followed by, “Maybe not”.  Basically, I observed that when a trike or motor vehicle passed, she shot would aim her plastic weapon at it.  Most adults ignore her as well as the other hapless souls in town, but the students are the ones who are the cruelest with her and them.  They taunt and tease them mercilessly.  We have had discussions at the dinner table about those with mental conditions, how we should show empathy toward them instead of ridicule and be glad that we are not in their situation.   And before we get on our high horse and claim that we Americans are above that type of attitude toward those of like condition, I have also witnessed their mistreatment at the hands of youth and adult alike.  Unfortunately, humanity can be cruel in that regard and as for me, I consider it a sad situation indeed. 

Daryl Cleveland a.k.a.  bounder
November 21, 2015




1 comment: