Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Five Years of Living in the Philippines





It was five years ago today that I landed at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila, Philippines thus beginning an adventure which continues to evolve with each new day.  


What I recall of that extremely hot and humid evening was I had returned to explore once more this tropical paradise; perhaps to find solace in its culture and inhabitants.  In reality, I guess I was trying to escape a World which (for me) was turning cold and mundane.  I had traveled the length and breadth of the United States several times during my first six decades on this earthly plane.  During those many years and miles, I tried to satisfy a nagging need I could neither describe, much less understand.  As an adult, I would travel thousands of miles at a time on the motorcycle, always returning home sun blistered and exhausted, but with every sojourn, there remained this enigmatic urge deep within my psyche.  Some have written they traveled in search of life’s answers or perhaps that unknown someone to give substance and meaning to their existence; or simply to fill that fathomless void which existed within their soul.  


On that flight to Manila,  I recall meeting a couple of Americans who were on their way to the Philippines to either roam around or to meet a girlfriend…..and I remember them trying to persuade me to “enjoy” all that the Philippines had to offer.  However, I had not “returned” to the Philippines in search of companionship or even find that proverbial, Meaning of Life.  


Personally, there were no answers to be found or hidden wisdom to be discovered within this tropical archipelago.  It was not the reason I had traveled here.   Still, I somehow felt like the Monarch Butterfly who for whatever reason, had that insatiable need to migrate to that hidden valley in Mexico.   I had spent almost three years here in the 1970’s while serving with the US Navy, and the country (at that time) had such an impact on me that it had instilled the desire to return someday.   To find my own hidden valley deep within the lush jungles or fog enshrouded mountain peaks.   Perhaps one of the reasons for my return five years ago…..and continues even today, was the simplistic or basic lifestyle of the people.  Another was I wanted to really explore those many islands.  I had never really had the money to explore back in the seventies….and even in 2010, my funds were limited, but there was enough money to meander my winter months away in pursuit of that perfect location.  


Santiago, Toy, Charissa Mae, and Clarisse w/Jesse the Dog
However for me, the most important discovery since my arrival here in the Philippines, was settling upon the Island of Negros and the finding of four children in desperate need of a papa.  Since that time, I have expended my energies on raising the four best kids in the entire World.  I am awed at times when I think that the first time I met them, their ages ranged from three and one-half, to almost seven, to nine and finally ten and one-half years.  They were either in grade school or preschool when I happened upon them, however, now they are in ninth, seventh, fifth, and third grades……Children grow faster than you realize…especially as you mature.  


 One comment I would like to add is that this family always has discussions at the dinner table (in English) on a wide variety of topics.  One day we were talking about education and I asked fourteen year old Toy where he would be in school had I not come into his life.  You see, before I had arrived in the Philippines, Toy was always skipping school.  Even if his mother walked him to the classroom, as soon as she departed, he was out the door.   So, he sat quietly for a few moments considering the question asked and then softly replied that he would have never made it to sixth grade.  None of those children had aspirations of careers when growing up….but now they actually have dreams of a better education which will lead to a better life for them along with their future families. Toy has been the one child who has been by my side since we became a family.  Whatever I do or wherever I go, you can bet he will be right beside me.  Since I have resumed daily walks two months ago, he has been walking with me almost every morning.  I may watch over the family, but I will tell you now that Toy watches over me.


Which brings me to another topic.  My knees.  In certain regards, my knees are better now than when I arrived here five years ago, but they have also deteriorated significantly since then.  I now exercise them and bend the legs regularly which helps with flexibility.  However the other side of the coin is the cartilage (which cushions the knee joints) is just about gone.  I can still walk with some discomfort and can even make a three mile an hour pace (if pressed into it), but as for running, jogging, or performing Zumba, it is not an option any longer.  I can make short sprints after an errant Frisbee, but the impact of bone upon bone creates a painful reminder that I am no longer twenty years old.   Still, I continue to walk between four and eight kilometers almost every day.  


With all of the global events/tragedies occurring right now, what I have noticed more than anything else is that the active World continues to pass me by.  I reside within a quaint paradise of friendly people who are oblivious to the rest of the World’s problems and also enjoy an unencumbered lifestyle.  I have four wonderful children who I have come to call my own, a basic house which (for the most part) keeps the rain out, food in the pantry and freezer full of ice cubes to chill my glass liter bottles of Pepsi (40¢ per bottle).   I can only hope and pray that the next five years will be as enjoyable and rewarding as the past five…..and with God’s blessing, I am sure they will be. 



Daryl A. Cleveland

November 19, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment