Tuesday, January 15, 2013

NON-CHRISTMAS LIGHTS, EARTHQUAKES, FLOWERS, AND SINGING



Accent Lights in the Living Room
This past season I had purchased flashing Christmas lights for the outside of the house.  The price was basically one dollar per string.  We bought four stings in Bacolod and I put them on the front window.  What I didn’t notice was the randomly exposed wires (guess where they were manufactured, hmmm?) and thus with the very first JOLT, those colorful line of lights immediately got my attention.  May I comment that 110 volts has nothing on 220 volts. Accordingly, I went and bought electrical tape (only came in yellow color) and had junior (Diana’s brother) tape all the exposed wires.  Along with the cheap price came the short lasting bulbs.  Within the first day, I had to go to the local retail store to buy another string (at over double the price to Bacolod) to cannibalize (packets of spare bulbs didn’t exist in my neck of the jungle).  Still, the lights looked pretty good as they flashed on and off for the sea of carolers who visited this past December.  

On January 3rd, I took down those lights and placed them away in storage only to bring them back out again on January 8th and taped them to the ceiling encircling the living room.  The kids loved the color and flashing lights whereas twelve year old Clarisse thought our house now looked more like a Videoke Bar.   I personally thought it put out a warm soothing light in comparison to the bright energy efficient bulb in the ceiling.  Then I got my utility bill on Saturday and noticed it had gone up $5 for December and am now wondering if that was such a good idea.   I guess we will find out with next month’s utility bill.


Last night as I was watching Star Trek, The Next Generation DVDs (Thank you for loaning them to me Mark), when there occurred a slight earthquake (5.0 on the Richter Scale).  I felt the soft rocking effect of the chair while experiencing a wavelike sensation in the soles of my feet.  The kids had gone to bed, but Diana and Junior were still up.  Amazingly, I was the only one who felt the trembler.  Diana was dozing on the couch as Junior sat on the floor.  Seemed even more unusual that a sixteen year old could not feel it, but still I did and guess that was all that mattered.  Location was about 50 miles to the SW of me.  I also reported that I had felt it on the USGS (US Geological Survey) website.  Within the hour there were three aftershocks, but I didn’t feel any of them. 



When I was stationed on the island of Adak in Alaska, we had some form of earth tremor/quakes every single day.  When sitting in your chair or laying upon your bunk, you could experience a gentle swaying motion like being in a rocker.  Sometimes the initial shock would be strong, but then settled down to a nice wave motion as the concrete structure would “go with the flow” of the trembling rock beneath it.  Just like electricity, I don’t fear earthquakes, I just maintain a great respect for them and aware of the potential dangers associated. 



You know that you have a happy home when there is singing or whistling by individual family members within the four walls.  It seems that recently, Charissa Mae (Mae Mae) had decided that the acoustics were perfect for singing in the bathroom as she performed her daily duties.  Sometimes I would hear religious songs being sung within that enclosed space, but yesterday I heard her singing:  “Watermelon, watermelon…papaya, papaya….bana –na- banana, bana – na banana…fruit salad, fruit salad.”  It was sung to the tune of Frère Jacques or in English, Brother John.  At the end of each song, she would then yell, “TISSUE  PLEASE!” Now, try to tell me you didn’t sing those words with that tune in your head….

Giant Marigold Plants - Blogger won't let me rotate picture
When we (the whole family (except for Mae Mae) walked from Binalbagan to Hinigaran a few months ago (another story in the making), we came across some Marigolds.  I absconded with a couple of blossoms from the burgeoning plants growing alongside the highway and planted the seeds after returning home.  In the states, marigold bushes would grow to about two, but no more than three feet in height.  It appeared that was not the case in the Philippines.  The seeds I planted are no less than five feet high as I write.  The family doesn’t like the pungent smell of the flowers, but I don’t mind the strong aroma.  Donarae had sent over a bag of Marigold seeds in a Balikbayan box in October and, upon its arrival, I discovered the parcel had been inspected by the US Customs Service.  They had cut open the box right where the seeds were located and then sliced open the plastic sandwich bag within.   I am confident they had thought those were marijuana or some other type of narcotic seeds, only to discover that they were the innocuous Marigold variety instead.


1 comment:

  1. That must have been why my car alarm went off !
    Didnt feel a thing...

    ReplyDelete