Tuesday, January 22, 2013

DINNER PRAYERS, SPHAGHETTI, ICE CREAM, & SONY CAMERA



Clarisse, Charissa Mae, Junior, Santiago, & Toy Toy Baguio
Since the kids have arrived on Negros, we have always said a prayer before each meal.  I was taught the family prayer when I was young and have said it silently or aloud thousands of times throughout my life.  “Bless this food to the nourishment of our body.  Guard and guide us through the coming days.  In the Lords name we pray, Amen.”  Whenever I would say this blessing, the words would be steady and deliberate, but I remember that my mother and even grandmother could say that prayer is less than three seconds flat. To me, it was the Indy 500 of blessings during those youthful days.  To those two elders, it was just a formality, nothing more or less.  At first, I had to get the kids to fold their hands properly and then had to instill in them the requirement to close their eyes and to NOT make funny faces at each other while the prayer was said.   The children all adapted quickly, but Charissa Mae.  She would, during the brief prayer, have to brush the hair out of her face (when there wasn’t any), or reposition herself in her chair, or worse of all have to SCRATCH.  It came to a point that I would have to make sure all of Mae Mae’s idiosyncrasies were completed before the prayer was said.  

A few weeks ago, Charissa Mae came home from school with a prayer she had learned.  “Heavenly Father, thank you so much for the love and care.  Help us in our studies. Bless our parents, teachers, and food.  Amen.”  This began as a funeral dirge.  The words were tortoise slow as if Mae Mae was struggling to recall each word or just wanted to get them out correctly.  The other three children embraced that prayer and would vie for the honor of saying it before each meal.  Amazingly, like all youngsters, they said it at about the same tempo.  I must stress that the prayer began innocently enough, but as time passed, an abbreviated version evolved.  In an effort to speed up the blessing and shorten the time between sitting at the table and grabbing at the food in front of them, words would be conveniently omitted.  Soon enough (in the case of Mae Mae), Help us with our studies, along with Bless our parents and food and even AMEN had disappeared from the grace.  Suddenly, with hands stilled folded, eyes closed, and reverence upon their faces the other three would remind Charissa Mae to add the missing words to her blessings.  



The other day I was assisting at making spaghetti.  My ONLY task was to break the long strands of noodles in two and toss them into the hot water.   Now, I have done the noodle breaking with spaghetti for eons and thought I was fully versed in that you SHOULD break your pasta over the pot of boiling water and then feather it into the bubbling liquid.   Well, I opened the sack and grabbed out a handful of those elongated noodles in my left hand.  There were two pots in front of me on the range; one had a lid on it while the other did not.  Never giving it a thought, I broke the spaghetti and dropped it into the sauce!!!  Fortunately, my befuddled brain kicked in before depositing the complete handful into the red, fluidic mass.   “OH CRAP!” I exclaimed as I watched the strands slowly settle into the simmering sauce.  I immediately took the lid off the pot of boiling water and then grabbed a large spoon.  I got most of the (now) colorful pasta out of the seasoning pot and transferred it to the water pot.  Of course, the virgin liquid turned a nice bubbling red as each spoonful was dropped in.  I finally quit digging out the random or overly coated strands and finished breaking and placing the rest of the pasta into the water.  I must admit the spaghetti was pretty tasty that evening and even though I did look for, as well as ask the opinion of the other young diners at the table, I never did taste any crunchy strings…thank goodness….and I never told anyone either about the mistake either. 



Mae Mae, Diana, Santiago, Toy Toy, & Clarisse Baguio
Every Sunday after supper, as long as the budget held, we would have ice cream.  I must confess that a 1.5 liter container (just a pinch over 1.5 quarts) costs over $6.00 here, but the excitement displayed by my children more than made up for the cost.  As soon as supper was completed, they would empty out their drinking glasses, grab spoons and stand in wait at my end of the table.  It could be hectic at times as Santiago and Mae Mae fought for position as to who would get the frozen confection first.  Still, the kids, who have never had a problem asking for seconds and sometimes thirds, would make short work of their weekly treat.  

Charissa Mae Baguio with her Ice Cream mask
Last Sunday, Toy Toy did not want to eat his ice cream portion and requested it be put in the freezer until the next day.  After supper on Monday, he dutifully opened the freezer expecting to savor his frozen treat only to find that “unknown” youthful siblings had mostly emptied the container of its contents, leaving only a couple spoonfuls for the unfortunate recipient.  

This past evening, I declared that if you did not eat your portion of ice cream, then you forfeited your share to the others.  Predictably, everyone ate ice cream.  









A couple of weeks ago, my Sony digital (model W230) point and shoot camera finally gave up the ghost.  Unfortunately, it had to happen during one of my photo gathering sojourns.  I recall buying it in the Spring of 2009; using it for the first time when traveling to and while visiting Denver (with Pastor Bulger) on Amtrak.  I took it to the Philippines that Fall and utilized it extensively after returning to the PI in 2010.  In the end, I took 11,186 photos with that small image saver.   During its lifetime, it found safety within the side pocket of my cargo shorts or when secured to my wrist. It also shared many of my adventures through its captured images.  I had let the two oldest (Toy Toy and Clarisse) take pictures with it and during its final months, even Santiago got to use it a few times.  Even though I really need a replacement, the budget dictates otherwise.  Hopefully, within the next few months a good replacement will find its way to my home continuing a picture taking tradition that has found its way into my meager family.



No comments:

Post a Comment