Wednesday, January 4, 2012

MOVIES IN THE PHILIPPINES


I spent over a year operating a movie theater in Iowa. It was a one-screen operation with a single projector in the booth above.  The cinema had been renovated over the years and I thought it really had character; at least the projection equipment definitely had an attitude.  Still, during that time, I was able to resolve most of the problems. I can even laugh at some of them now, but at the time, they were (in my mind) embarrassingly catastrophic. 

Although I had many experiences and adventures with operating that movie house; over the past few months, I had come to enjoy the simple predicaments experienced at the theaters in the Philippines.  

At my theater in the states, the entire movie was spliced from several reels into one gigantic reel, which was situated upon a platter alleviating the need of two projectors.  However, in the Philippines, they still utilized the old style two projector system as the equipment alternated between many reels. When I was on the island of Cebu, there was never a problem when the movies were being shown. The one theater I frequented had their system down to a science and there were never any unfortunate episodes. However, on the island of Negros, more specifically in the city of Bacolod, it was a different experience altogether.

I discovered three multiplex cinemas in that provincial capitol.  Gaisano’s Mall as well as SM Mall each had four screens, while Robinson’s Mall has a six-screen cinema.  Gaisano’s was the oldest theater of the three and its small archaic seats, musty odor, along with its unkempt feel betrayed its age.  SM’s theater was probably the newest of the three and the seats were large and comfortable. There was no musty aroma within any of its four screening rooms. Although Robinson’s Mall was not as old as Gaisano’s, it was not as new as SM’s either. The seats were large and comfortable, yet the interior of the theater was showing its age. There were a few seats that were broken in the stadium seating area, but instead of repairing or replacing them, tape was just placed over the seat.  Of the three theaters, only Robinson’s was like that.

All three theaters had floor level as well as stadium seating and the sound systems were excellent. I always took the first showing at every theater as I wanted to beat the rush hour traffic if there was such a thing in the Philippines. At Gaisano’s there were times when a first run feature was being shown and I would be the only one in the auditorium.  In SM and Robinson’s, there was always a smattering of attendees, but nothing like in the states.  Probably the main reason for that was it was during a weekday and I always went to the first showing of the day. The only exception to that rule was the movie "Breaking Dawn" (Twilight Saga) and I could not find an empty seat in any of the cinemas on the first day.  In fact, they were taking reservations for the next day.  Oh, let me briefly explain about the movies shown.  Most of the features from the U.S. were action, mystery, or comedy. It seems the romantic, along with a sprinkling of comedic, movies are mostly in Tagalog (Filipino). Yep, last year when all they had was Tagalog movies for an entire month, I broke down and saw one (Rosalyn). Actually it was pretty good, thank goodness for the subtitles that accompanied it.  Now the American movies would arrive in the Philippines a few weeks (sometimes months) after their release in the States, but there were exceptions.  Breaking Dawn, Mission Impossible 4, and Real Steel were three examples and there was actually one (Adventures of Tin Tin) which was shown a month before its premier stateside.

SM and Robinson’s had concession stands. Even though SM’s was pretty small,  Robinson’s was pretty extensive, but their popcorn (even when freshly popped) did not taste right.  The machines were small (like the little ones you would see for sale in the States) and the flavor/texture was somehow lacking.  I did not try any of the candy.  However, they had all kinds of (for lack of a better word) “snack” stands around the theaters.  I even saw people bringing boxes of pizza into the theaters.  French Fries are a big thing in the PI and thus I would buy a large container of fresh fried string potatoes and also purchase a banana split shake at the neighboring stand.  I loved their ripe mango shakes, but they did not like me.  Hmmm, on one such gastro-intestinal episode I came out to wash my hands after the fact and there was this “woman” standing at the sink next to me.  I was taken aback by that sight and for a moment thought I had trespassed into the wrong comfort room, but beside “her” were a half dozen urinals.  I moved two sinks down to cleanse my hands From then on, I refrained from using any restrooms until I returned home.

So there I am munching on steamy fresh fries and quenching my parched thirst with frozen shake, just sitting back and enjoying the feature; when suddenly the projector runs out of film  and the room goes black.  Utter silence fills the air as the seconds tick away. The chomping of food could now be heard from the others scattered about the seated loft as we patiently waited for the projectionist to realize there was no movie playing in our theater.  Suddenly, the thumping sounds of running feet could be heard in the projection gallery; there is the faint flip of a switch, and the movie instantly returns to the wide screen below. 

Some of you may be of the impression that this is a rare occurrence, but let me assure you that it can be expected on the first or second reel of every movie (including “Breaking Dawn”).  In the States there would have been cat calls and people loudly grumbling within the theater, but here it is quietly accepted and I equate it as part of the Philippine experience.  

In the beginning I thought it was rather inept on the part of the theaters, but now I consider it a part of my admission fee.  And with being a senior citizen, I get a 20% discount on every ticket I purchase, I am even happier with the extra perks I receive at the theaters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment