Wednesday, December 21, 2011

CHRISTMAS CAROLERS




The past ten days, the Christmas Carolers have discovered my sanctuary.  It all began with three young girls singing “Jingle Bells” and “We Wish You A Merry Christmas” along with a couple Filipino songs (No religious songs were ever sung).  Accordingly, I stood in the doorway until they were done and then I handed each child a peso coin.  Well actually, I think they had the wrong house as the kids had begun singing at the neighbor’s directly across from me, but no one emerged.  Showing pity, I opened my door and that ended my anonymity.





The first night there were two groups, the girl trio and then a while later two boys appeared. By the second night it had grown to four groups, with between two and four singers in each ensemble.  In the daytime, duets or trios of adult males would come out of the mountains to the east and serenade the residents. Their instruments were hand made guitars, ukuleles, and wooden harps.  What I found fascinating about the harps was they utilized guitar strings and thus sounded just like a guitar to me. Whereas the children were boisterous with their songs, the men were soft in tone and actually accentuated the strumming of their instruments. 

There was one evening when three boys followed me three blocks to the store singing carols. I kept telling them wala kwarta (no money), but that didn’t dissuade them.  It was a known fact that all foreigners were rich and they wanted their reward. While buying laundry detergent for the cleaning lady (who was going to wash clothes the next day), they stood outside serenading whoever they could get pesos from.  Yep, as soon as I emerged from the store, they were there following and singing.  Normally I would have given them three pesos, but decided they deserved six pesos due to their persistence.  I have to comment all the visiting carolers sang those songs with a fervent conviction...even if some were a little off key.  

Last week, I received a personal letter from the local PTA President informing me the local high school choir (and teachers) would be visiting on Saturday and would be collecting donations for school projects. Even with Tropical Depression Washi passing by, they still appeared between torrential showers. Their melodic voices brought back fond memories of when my youth group from church would go caroling to those members who were unable to travel after the annual Christmas programs.

You know, I always got a chuckle when those young kids would sing “Jingle Bells” AND they always started their routine with that tune. Now, there was the possibility they might have seen pictures in school of such things (snow & sleigh), but they really did not have a clue as to what real snow was like.  The texture, the chill that numbed the skin, and the cold air that accompanied the flake covered landscape.  For them, I was sure those were only words to a song that was sung during the Christmas season and nothing more.  As I reflect upon it, I am not even sure if I ever saw a one horse open sleigh in operation (except for pics and in movies).



From the very beginning, before payment was made, I would ask if they knew “We Wish You Americano” and everyone replied they did not know that song.  I would then sing it to them.  They would all giggle and some would try, but none succeeded….at least not on the first night (NO, I DID NOT REQUEST THAT FROM THE ADULTS OR HIGH SCHOOL CHOIR).

With each successive evening and as the number of carolers increased, they came to realize the only way to get their peso reward was to sing that song.  Sometimes I would have to lead them, but in the end, that tune became one of their selections….at least it was for my entertainment.  What I found interesting about the song was it was a well known tune on the island of Luzon and even Cebu, but was completely unknown to the youngsters and many adults here on Negros.

As noted above, while living on Cebu in 2010, that song was not a problem and all the kids knew it.  On occasion, in the evenings, I would sit at the Balamban municipal track and observe the construction of Christmas decorations each barangay (barrio) was putting together for the festive season.  I also got to witness one that acquired a short in the wiring and burn to the ground before the fire department could arrive.  Still, even then my requirement for the several groups of youthful carolers who stopped by was they sing “We Wish You Americano” before they received payment. 

On December 24, 2010, I was sitting on a bench that surrounded a statue in the Balamban town park.  It was a warm and muggy evening (as they always were in Cebu).  I happened to meet my housekeeper’s brother James that evening.  He was a Mormon and we were talking about his experience as a missionary for the church when a half dozen teenage girls stopped by.  They knew James and wanted to know who I was.  We chatted for awhile and I answered their adolescent questions. Finally I asked if they had a peso I would sing them a Christmas Carole.  They were pretty shocked at that, but said sure.  Thus I sang, “We Wish You Americano” and at the end, without skipping a beat, I held out my hand and said, “Peso Please.”  Nope, I never got one centavo from them.  I guess you just can’t trust teenagers in the Philippines either.

One morning I was waiting to take pictures of the pre-kindergarteners who were going to parade past the town hall in fairy tale dress when two young girls (at the insistence of their ati (older sister) came over and started singing Christmas Caroles to me. I kept telling them wala kwarta (no money), as I never took money with me unless it was needed.  Finally they understood and left dejectedly. I felt terrible and even though I checked my pockets, I fingered through them once more. In the corner of one was a five peso coin. They were walking down the street with their older sister as I quickly walked after them and finally gained their attention.  The girls were all smiles as I placed the coin in one of the girl’s hand.

Currently I am spending around twenty or so pesos each night on the tiny singers (ages three to maybe eight or nine years), but I also know that for some it will be the only way they can make money.  It’s not that they will be buying Christmas Presents, but it will most likely go to help support the family.  Honestly, I don’t think many families have a festive Christmas. We take so many things for granted in the states, whereas over here, their main focus is on food, shelter, health, and clothing.  In all honesty, Christmas gifts are an unfulfilled dream of many children here.

Still, I don’t feel bad or cheated by those nightly visits.  I know that what I am doing is good for them and their families and, in the end that is what Christmas is all about, right?

As I finish this up, a child who lives in the compound has just passed by singing, “We Wish You Americano”.  See, the difference I am already creating in their future?

No comments:

Post a Comment